Mucuna pruriens Bak by Chakrapany Ayurvedic Clinic
The long-term Allopathic L-dopa treatment of Parkinson’s disease will produce dyskinesia, distortion of voluntary movement as in spasm. But the traditional treatments of Parkinsonism with Mucuna Puriens will not product dyskinesia.
• Reduced body fat & decreased cellulite
• Decreased wrinkles
• Improved skin texture & appearance
• Increased bone density and reversal of osteoporosis
• Increased lean muscle mass
• Improved mood and sense of well-being
• Enhanced libido & sexual performance
• Increased energy levels
• Improved cholesterol profile & regeneration of organs (heart, kidney, liver, lungs)
• Dramatically strengthen immune system
• Reduction of cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Reproductive system : The seeds are very useful in oilgospermia and impotence. A pessary soaked in the root extract relieves vaginal laxity. The roots are also used to expedite labour. The oil from seeds is useful in leucorrhoea.
Prolactin is a hormone released by the pituitary gland which is considered to be the cause for erection failure in men. The beans of Mucuna pruriens are known to release L-dopa which combines with dopamine to restrict the release of prolactin hormone by the pituitary glands. Oral intake of Mucuna pruriens seeds help in promoting fertility and improve erection.
Digestive system : The trichomes on the legumes are anthelmintic for roundworm.
High levels of trace elements like manganese, zinc, and others were found in these seeds. Therefore, it is conceivable that Mucuna pruriens seeds contain hypoglycaemic principles, may be both organic and mineral, which seem to act indirectly by stimulating the release of insulin and by a direct insulin-like action there by reducing the glucose level and the body weight is diabetic person.
The alcohol extract of the seeds of M. pruriens has an anti-lipid peroxidation property, which is mediated through the removal of superoxides and hydroxyl radicals.
Urinary System : The root has diuretic property. It is used in oliguria and renal dysfunction.
Satmikaran : It promotes muscle mass and body-weight; L- Dopa contains natural secretagogues which may support the body’s ability to stimulate the natural release of growth hormone. The blood carries the dopamine into the brain, where it naturally increases Human Growth Hormone production from the pituitary gland. The increased dopamine levels also optimize the production of other hormones, including testosterone, leading to increased sex drive and improved sexual performance for both men and women, beneficial in stimulating muscle growth, as well as burning fat from fat cells
Ayurveda References :
Kapikachchu is included with synonyms namely Rishabhi (Balya group) and Kachchura (Purisha-virajaniya group) by Charaka. He has included it in the formulations of Mahamayura ghrita and Amritaprasha ghrita. It is also included with a synonym Markati in Unmada chikitsa.
Guna : guru, snigdha; Rasa : madhaur, tikta; Vipak : madhur; Veerya : ushna.
Karma : Tridosha shamak- useful in diseases caused by tridosha.
Parts used : Seed, root and trichomes.
Dosage : The seed powder 3 to 6 gms; root extract 50 to 100 ml; trichomes 0.25- 0.5 gm.
Properties – Rasa – Tikta, Guna – Guru, Virya – Ushna, Vipaka – Madhura
Dhatu : Shukra (aphrodisiac), mamsa- meda (brimhana), rakta vardhaka.
Mala : Purisha (sara)
Dosha : Vatashaman.
Dhatu : Shukra (an aphrodisiac, promoting ejaculation).
Pharmacological actions – Vatahara , Vrishya, Brimhani, Balya, Kapha-Pitta-Rakta-hara.
Vata vyadhi (Neurological disorder) – Intake of juice of Atmagupta for a period of one month relieves Apabahuka Vata-vyadhi. (Chakradutta)
Vajikarna (Aphrodisiac) – The seeds along with Godhuma boiled in milk and mixed with ghee should be taken followed by hot milk. (Sushruta)
Shwasa (Dyspnoea) – Intake of powder of Markati beeja mixed with honey and ghee early in the morning relieves shwasa. (Yogaratnakara)
Formulations available – Herb Powder, Capsules, Organic Powder,
Precautions – Mucuna pruriens beans should not be taken by pregnant women as it causes a rise in body temperature which could cause harm to both the baby and the mother.
1) The powdered seed extract showed hypotensive activity .
2) M. pruriens seed diet produced hypoglycaemic effect .
3) Seed diet showed hypocholesterolemic effect .
4) Mucuna pruriens improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis.
5) Mucuna pruriens Reduces Stress and Improves the Quality of Semen in Infertile Men.
6) Proteomic analysis of the pathophysiological process involved in the antisnake venom effect of Mucuna pruriens extract.
7) Estimation of L-dopa from Mucuna pruriens
8) Anti-Parkinson botanical Mucuna pruriens prevents levodopa induced plasmid and genomic DNA damage.